It has been ferociously competitive in some categories and this year it is female performers who have far out performed their male counterparts. The honourable mentions list is arguably be a top 5 in itself.
In the end – having combined Best Support Actor into being for both men and women – it was impossible to reduce it to just five. So six have been shortlisted in another high calibre selection.
Another new category is Best Musical, which reflects the fact that below the surface and away from the big theatres, musical theatre is still doing some pretty interesting stuff. Last year’s Civilian Theatre Play of the Year ‘The Scottsboro Boys’ has transferred to the West End and it feels the form deserves its own categories.
Winners will be announced in the run-up to Christmas.
Best Actor – Female
- Juliet Stevenson Winnie – Happy Days
- Fiona Shaw Mary – The Testament of Mary
- Kristin Scott-Thomas Electra – Electra
- Denise Gough Louise – Adler & Gibb
- Gillian Anderson Blanche – A Streetcar Named Desire
Harriet Walter (Henry IV), Helen McCrory (Medea), Lisa Dwan (Not I, Footfalls & Rockaby), Phoebe Waller-Bridge (The One) and Anita Hegh (The Wild Duck).
Best Actor – Male
- Mark Strong Eddie Carbone – A View From The Bridge
- Tim Pigott-Smith King Charles – King Charles III
- Christopher Brett-Bailey This Is How We Die
- Richard Armitage John Proctor – The Crucible
- Danny Braverman Wot? No Fish!!
Andrew Scott (Birdland), Andrew Twaites (The Libertine Has Left The Building) and Simon Russell Beale (King Lear)
Best Supporting Actor (Male/Female)
- Oliver Cris Prince William – King Charles III
- Lydia Wilson Duchess of Cambridge – King Charles III
- Vanessa Kirby Stella – A Streetcar Named Desire
- Jade Anouka Hotspur – Henry IV
- Adrian Schiller Reverend Hale – The Crucible
- Phoebe Fox Catherine – A View From The Bridge
- Mine Cerci – How A Man Crumbled
- Ivo Van Hove – A View From The Bridge
- Benedict Andrews - A Streetcar Named Desire
- Thomas Ostermeier - An Enemy Of The People
- Simon Stone - The Wild Duck
- Dmitry Krymov - Opus No. 7